Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My Dad's Journey to Healing

With his permission, I have taken on the job of creating a blog that will keep everyone informed of my Dad's journey with cancer.
He was diagnosed with Lymphoma just last week. It's been a long couple of months getting to a diagnosis, so as hard as it is to hear the word cancer, there is some relief in having an answer.
Dad saw an awesome oncologist, Dr. Erin Fleener, in Bryan, Texas on Monday. We all really liked her. She spoke words of hope to my Dad in the midst of a difficult conversation. She is definitely an answer to prayer.
He will have a busy schedule for the next couple of weeks. Today he had a Cat Scan of his head. In his words, "they were checking to see if I had a brain". If you know my Dad, you can believe that.
On Saturday he will have a PET scan. He has back problems and due to the location of the cancer he has a lot of shoulder pain. He can't imagine lying on his back with his arms up for this test. Your prayers are appreciated.
If all goes as scheduled, he will have his first chemotherapy treatment on Thursday, Dec. 2. Again, your prayers are needed.
Please pray for his pain level during these weeks to be manageable.
Pray for his strength and stamina.
Pray that the chemo will not be too difficult for him and that we will begin to see evidence of the chemo "melting the cancer away".
Pray for God's presence to be real to he and my mom.
Pray for God's touch on his body and for complete healing.
As you can imagine, Mom and Dad have many friends. It is very difficult to continually be telling this story over and over again to the many people who are calling them. We so appreciate your love for them, but we hope that you will understand that it is physically and emotionally draining for them to talk about all of this many times a day. For this reason, we are asking that you not expect them to share all of these details. We will keep this blog updated throughout his journey.
Cards, emails and comments on this blog will be especially meaningful to them.
They cannot make it without your prayers and support. You are all a vital part of their lives and we thank you for loving our parents.

2 comments:

  1. I have only known Bro. Bob for a short time. I first met him in Sunday night study of James. I love his wit and humor, however what I love the most is his love of Christ and the Word of God. I have been praying for him everyday since finding out about his lymphoma. He is such a blessing to me, and to all his friends and family. I pray the Lord will totally heal him and to bring him back to church soon. I missed him this past Sunday night. Somehow I know the Lord will be glorified in this trial and blessings will come from it. Thank you Cindy for posting this blog. It was a great idea to keep everyone posted on your dad's progress. Love you Brother Bob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ‎"For this reason I kneel before the Father from whom His whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being...that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." Ephesians 3:14-16,19 We love you and we're praying. Scott, Sandy, and the boys.

    ReplyDelete